Connected & mobile healthcare with a human touch
The increased popularity of smartphones has encouraged developers to create the new generation of healthcare applications, focused on easier, faster, cheaper and mobile communication between patients and doctors, paving the way to new and improved medical services. This is what is called connected and mobile healthcare.
In this context, as an example, the viability of “telemedicine” is becoming reality. Even though the concept of “telemedicine” is over three decades old, until now, except for some remote areas, it has hardly seen many large scale application. This is despite on-going interest in investing in telemedicine related projects. For instance, in the 2011-2015 “Federal Health Information Technology Strategic Plan”, telemedicine is included in future health services and upcoming project. Financing for such project was provided almost exclusively as grants to clinics in rural areas, for acquisition of telemedicine equipment, since the cost of medical equipment dedicated to remote consultations is usually very high.
However, investing in “software-based” telemedicine with software applications (web or native mobile applications) integrated with EHR/EMR systems, could be a much more affordable solution for achieving similar results. Using the latest “consumer-like” mobile technologies with great user experience but with advanced security and compliance capabilities, it is now possible for medical staff to receive real-time vital medical information from different mobile apps and portable devices, eliminating the need for frequent medical appointments, manual input or investment in expensive equipment. At the same time, patients no longer need to wait for a routine consultation or for a medical prescription. Through mobile apps, web services and healthcare portals, a drug prescription can be inputted directly into an existing HIS/CIS software and automatically synchronised with the patient medical file and sent to his/hers email address or transformed into a smartphone notification.
There are countless possibilities and this is only the beginning. In the upcoming years, the efficiency of medical services will improve significantly, not just because the new mobile technology make this possible, but also because there is social and economic pressure created by an ever increasing number of patients, opposed to a stable or even diminishing number of medical personnel.
But, there are also drawbacks. Now we had sophisticated electronic health records applications with advanced digital communication capabilities that allows us to be more connected to each other — patient to provider, provider to care team, and so on, most medical devices now come Bluetooth-enabled with connectivity baked in, but, on the whole, the medical act suffers several times. There are studies showing that doctors could spend up to 40% of time in the exam focused on the computer screen on some complex medical application. And several times a consultation of a patient is spent in awkward silence, except for the sound of a clicking keyboard. Of course, this could make healthcare more effective but for sure didn’t make it more human.
The good news – there are ways to make healthcare effective while still keep it human.
It’s all about how simple and easy to use are the healthcare applications used by doctors to access medical data, to input patient data, to communicate to remote patients, but spending less time fighting with the keyboard and more time treating patients during a consultation.
To respond to all these challenges, Star Storage created STATUS – a solution for electronic medical records management and patient engagement, offering a better way to enable doctors and other medical services providers’ staff to interact with patients in a secure and friendly environment.
STATUS offers to its users a series of innovative capabilities, all the features being available from a powerful, but simple and user friendly interface:
- Complete medical file of the patient, built with data coming from medical systems, but also from the patient and doctors
- Mobility and IoT (Internet of Things) – native mobile apps for integration with wearables and other portable devices for collecting health information
- Medication scheduling, notification and tracking for patients
- Build-in collaboration system for easy patient-doctor and doctor-doctor communication
- Telemedicine – with an integration with Microsoft Skype for Business
- Easy and secure sharing of medical documents and investigation between patients and doctors
- Easy integration with existing HIS/CIS systems
- Flexible On-Premises implementation or Cloud delivery with multiple information storage options (in StarVault data center located in Bucharest, Romania or Microsoft Azure with a worldwide network of Microsoft-managed data centers)
With STATUS, as a small and medium practice / clinic you have:
- Modern solution in the Cloud-First and Mobile-First world. Modern, cloud-based electronic health record and patient engagement software to help your small practice boost profitability. With Status, you get easy-to-use cloud-based solutions that you will actually love to use – on your desktop, tablet, and smartphone.
- Simple and effective tool for doctors and medical personnel to manage appointments. Appointments are made by the reception and are accessible by doctors. Adding quick notes during visits. List of daily/weekly appointments. Viewing all waiting patients and their waiting time. Support for emergencies and unscheduled visits
- Simple medical information governance and long term preservation. Complete patient history and medical profile. With Status patients are able to easily get lab results, medical images, visit records and prescription history. Whether the health records are transferred electronically, provided on optical disk or printed on paper the patients will have everything on the electronic medical record available for use and share as needed. A safe and secure location for storing medical data with excellent capabilities for long-term medical information storage (retentions, digital schredding).
- Patient engagement for increasing patient satisfaction and revenue stream. Whether willing to keep the patients closer, offer a new remote health assistance service or simply looking to grow your business, Status gives you the connectivity and collaboration tools you need to succeed.
- Improving patient care while being compliant with regulatory challenges. For doctors in a small practice or clinic, patient care is priority number one. However, a lot of regulatory challenges and time consuming paperwork often consume the time that should be spend with patients. Status can help. Their easy-to-use electronic health records, paperless operations, powerful patient engagement capabilities and native mobile applications will help your small practice to prosper, so you can focus on what matters most – caring for your patients.
- Increasing productivity. This modern and intuitive electronic health records features help you streamline your day, so you spend less time fighting with technology and more time treating patients. Easily access your patients medical history (a process that usualy slow your practice down), stay in contact with your patients and have real time feedback on their satisfaction so you can easily manage and grow your business.
- Decreasing IT costs. Status delivers on the promise of cloud economics. Predictable monthly pricing means your practice won’t be blindsided by expensive upgrades or maintenance and support. ZERO up-front investment and reduced operational expenses help you save more of what you earn by leveraging economies of the cloud.
Start discovering STATUS by viewing their latest product video:
The article was originally published by Star Storage.